Friday, May 14, 2010

Marathon of a Friday

Wow, I thought yesterday was busy! The morning today was absolutely crazy- one class after another with no time in between and then a full fourth grade chorus rehearsal. I've gotten pretty used to teaching this week's lesson and I'm feeling more comfortable in front of a class. I also saw a different aspect of teaching when I helped plan next week's lessons.

I've already talked a lot about the logistics and schedule of teaching a class, so I thought I would hit on the high (and the occasional low) points. In my first (early!) class, I met a boy who didn't like playing the dulcimers and said he was bored. He explained to me that he would much rather be playing video games. So I proceeded to try and entice him in trying a song. He got the basic technique, but just didn't show any interest. I tried a lot of different things and finally, we played 'Rain Rain Go Away' by splitting the strumming and noting. Mission accomplished! It's funny all the things the kids share with you right off the bat (like his love of video games). Another time, one girl told me, "I hate my sister. When I was 2, she locked me in a closet so I still hate her." First thing she said to me! It really showed me how younger kids haven't defined themselves yet and how early development is influenced by so many different things. Teaching is so important and has so many far-reaching effects!

I also made some friends today! (I was scheduled for a lunch date with a 10 yr. old.) The students' friendliness and openness has made me more confident in the classroom. I've also found myself adjusting the class material for the different grades. For instance, when I read 'In Flanders Field' with the fifth graders, I can go into much more depth than with the third graders. I have to adjust accordingly to each class. I've also had a fear of singing in front of the class. But today, we played the 'Who's got the Dragon Game?' (a call and response singing exercise to check individual abilities) and I did all of the calling. A small step, but a big hurdle in confidence for me! Next week should be a bit of a change up as we go to Sutton for a guest artist and workshops.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah- Great writing and great perspective on young people and their development. Your blog is interesting to read and really captures your thoughts throughout the day. The idea about singing in front of the class and building confidence was great.....we expect to hear that voice in the house sometime soon! Enjoy and thanks for the interesting updates!

    ReplyDelete